Wednesday, February 18, 2009

New room

Just another baby Mason update. They did end up extubating him on Monday at around 11:30. It was such a relief! They still need to suction him out though so now they have to do it through his nose since they don't have the ventilator anymore. It's horrible to watch but he has done such a good job. He doesn't even cry anymore when they do it. Anyway, they put some prongs on him for oxygen but had to move up to a higher flow for a while. The poor little boy couldn't eat until they got him off the high flow prongs. He ended up going a little more than 28 hours without eating. He did SO good though. He didn't even start fussing about it until about the 24th hour and even then he wouldn't fuss long.
When the nurse came to take Mason off the high flow oxygen and put him on the low flow she kept him off it for a while to see how he would do and he ended up not needing it at all anymore. He did great eating his first bottle (I'm sure it was because he was so stinkin hungry) but after that it was kind of a challenge to get him to eat. I'm sure his throat is really sore. Each bottle gets a little easier but he still makes a face like he is scared that something else is going to go down his throat.
Here is Mason with the oxygen in his nose. You can see that his upper lip is still pushed up from where the ventilator was.
We were moved to a new room yesterday which means we are out of the PICU. The room is SO stinkin small and the machines are a hundred times louder. We were put in our new room at noon and by 3:00 I was trying to figure out how to "accidentally" break the dumb thing! The nurses never come when the machines beep but they always come while we are trying to sleep. Everyone who has stayed at a hospital knows this :o) I actually wish we were still back in the ICU :o). The nurses were a lot nicer and it was more comfortable but....my baby is getting better and so that makes it all worth it.
The IV in his neck and hand are gone but he got a new one in his foot. It makes it so much easier to hold him though.

Sleeping in his new bed

I wanted another picture of his bed so you could see the dumb brown piece up top that I have hit my head on 3 times already.

And this is MY new bed. It doesn't recline very far so I am practically sitting up while I sleep. Like I said though, my baby is worth it.

The doctor said that with as long as Mason was on his medication he pretty much became addicted so they have to wean him. They start today and they said it takes 4 days for it to work and they like to watch the baby a full day after they stop just to make sure it worked. So, we are looking at leaving here on Sunday which puts us at two weeks in the hospital. Hopefully all goes well with the weaning and we don't have to stay longer.

11 comments:

Clint and Tiffany said...

I'm SO releived to hear that he's doing better! You guys are so lucky that you knew something was wrong and didn't listen to those retarted doctors. Thank heavens for that! Just in case you want something fun to take your mind off it, I tagged you. See my blog for the instructions. Love you guys!!

DeWitts said...

Its nice to hear he's getting better. I feel so bad for him and you to have to go through all this. I will still keep you both in my prayers.

Jonathan and Mandi Crandell said...

What a tough little guy. I can't imagine how hard it is for you to see your little baby struggle like that. I'm glad he's starting to do better. Our prayers are with you.

Anonymous said...

I am so happy he is much better. What a relief!!! I don't undrestand why hospitals can't be a little more accomadating to the patients families, and even more for parents with children! When my sister was in the hospital for her diabetes, my mom had to sleep on a chair! I am really sorry you have to sleep like that, but your right your baby is worth it!! Hang in there.

Carly said...

Yea~ I'm so glad he's feeling better, even though sleeping in a hospital chair sucks really bad. We're still here if you need ANYTHING, (seriously, anything), but we'll keep praying he just gets better and better!

Curtis Family said...

I am so glad that he is doing so much better! That is so scarry and now i am watching Brooklee all the time. It is fun to see Makenna and McKay every day!

What's for dinner? said...

I'm glad he's getting better!!

Hallie said...

I'm so glad he is doing better. It breaks my heart to see little tiny babies so sick and watch all they have to go through. I agree with you about the PICU...I didn't want to leave either. The nurses were SO awesome and attentive and the room was a lot more comfortable. We only had to stay one night on the regular floor though in the uncomfortable bed. It stinks you will have to be there for so much longer. But you are right, it is so worth it having your baby get better. Good luck and I hope you get to come home Sunday like you are planning!

rusty and julie thatcher said...

i'm so glad he is doing better. i will continue to pray for you guys!

Bekki said...

When Logan was sick- his little tongue dried out from sticking out of his mouth. One of the nurses would bring me vaseline so help with the dry mouth and tongue. His 4 days of weaning off the morphine were rough. We joke now that he has a short fuse because of his drug abuse as an infant. ;o) Glad to hear Mason is getting better!

Bekah: said...

I hope things are going well for you and your sweet little guy. I am sure it has been hard being away from home and from your other kids. Hang in there! Hopefully you cam get some sleep!