Monday, August 18, 2008

Weekend with my grandpa

We took a trip to Thatcher this past weekend to visit my grandpa Gallegos (my mom's dad). He was taken to the hospital last Sunday because his blood sugar was over 500! For those of you who don't know, that is really high. If you go much higher, you are pretty much dead. My grandpa is diabetic so he checks his blood constantly. Anyway, he was in ICU and was kept there until he ate something and when he finally did they put him in a regular room. Well, they kept giving him his insulin but he wasn't eating enough so then his blood sugar was down to 40, which is WAY too low. He hasn't been doing too good the past 3 years and so we wondered if this was it. So, we made a last minute decision to go visit him. He was released from the hospital on Friday before we got there but he wasn't really aware of what was going on.

This is us with my grandpa. If you look closely you can see that his lips are really swollen. He was taken to Urgent Care on Saturday because his mouth was swelling and he couldn't breathe. They gave him an oxygen tank to take home and use but the swelling didn't go down much. My poor grandpa. We are not sure how much longer he will be with us so we need to make the most of having him here. I love him very much and hate to see him suffering.
While we were in Thatcher my children got to spend a lot of time with their cousins (Sarah's children). We took a trip to Water Depot to get snow cones. Well, I guess they aren't really snow cones because they come in a cup. Anyway, that is the one place Anthon HAS to go whenever we go to Thatcher. It's really cheap and really good. They give you a HUGE cup for only $1 and to add creme it is only 50 cents. They have little sizes too for only 50 cents.
McKay with baby Hailey
McKay, Aubrey, Austin & Makenna enjoying their snow cones. McKay's was still being made.
The rest of the weekend was spent playing cribbage with parents and watching the Olympics. It is always nice to visit. I love it.

The kids were so tired from playing all weekend that they couldn't keep their eyes open on the ride home.

So tired!

5 comments:

Carly said...

I'm so sorry about your grandpa.. I went through all that a few years ago. It is really hard. Let me know if you need anything. On the plus side, you missed the ward party so you weren't throwing up all weekend.

DeWitts said...

I feel so bad about your grandpa. He sounds like he's a tough guy. I'm glad you had a good time with sarah!

Cara said...

Oh my gosh that makes me so sad bout your Grandpa. He does look like he is pretty sick cause I swear I have seen him before in person or maybe just pictures and he doesn't look the same. Man I don't want to get old. :( But glad you guys were able to get over there to see him. And how fun to spend time with family. Your kids and Sarah's kids are so darn cute. Which i am sure means that Emily's little one will be too. :)

Also I tagged you on my blog. :)

Sarah Pace said...

poor grandpa. Its always weird to see my kids on someone elses blog!

Kaaryn said...

Hey Jennifer- So sorry to hear about you Grandpa. Hopefully he can start feeling better. 500 is very high. I just wanted to let you know that I was talking to Jennifer Ballard today and I gave her your number because she would like to talk to you. I hope that is okay. Take Care Kaaryn