Thursday, May 1, 2008

What The Heck?!

Ok, so I bought a shirt from Ross about a month and a half ago. I washed it, of course, and then I wore it for the first time, but by the end of the day it had a really funny smell to it. I figured it was because I was outside all day......and weird smells...stuck to it......? I don't know! Anyway, so I washed it again and when it came out of the dryer it still smelled funny. It smelled kind of like burnt rubber or burnt hair mixed with chemicals or something. Anyway, long story short, I have washed it like, seriously, 30 times since I bought it. The smell never went away. So this morning I thought I would hand wash it and see if that would help at all. OH MY GOSH!! The water was a really dark greenish brown color. I couldn't even see the bottom of the sink. It was SOO gross!! I washed it over and over and over. Each time, the water was exactly the same. I washed it with hot, warm and cold water and it didn't make a difference. So, after about half an hour of washing it started to run a little more clear so I washed it with fabric softener. Anyway, this is what the water looked like after 40 minutes of washing the shirt.
Isn't that disgusting?! And this is 90% better than what it looked like when I first started! I finally got the water running pretty clear after I rinsed it so I put it in the dryer hoping that the smell was coming from all that green stuff. Well, after I took it out, it smelled like a perm mixed with Gain Joyful Expressions.I hate to think that I actually wore the shirt with all that filth in it. I don't get it though. I washed it TONS!!
Can anyone explain this? And how do I get the smell out?!

9 comments:

Lauren said...

That is really strange. I've never heard of ANYTHING like that before. Sorry that your shirt stunk. That's terrible. :(

Anonymous said...

I am laughing so hard! I have also never heard of such a thing. I hope you get the yucky smell out.

Bekki said...

Isn't that a little scary to think what might be on the clothes we buy. (I watched a horrible CSI once...I've never been the same!)

What's for dinner? said...

Was the shirt a bright green to a lime green color? Everytime I sit by someone wearing the color or pass a rack at the store with that color it makes me want to barf! it's something in the Dyes of the green..It's a very big fishy smell that I was starting to wonder if I was the only one that smelled it.

Katrina said...

That is so weird! I usually wash my new clothes before I wear them, but now I really will. I agree with Carrie it had to be the dye.

Jennifer said...

I thought it might have been the dye too but the shirt was black and the water color was way too weird to be the dye. I don't know, I'm still so confused!

Abram and Ashley said...

That is gross. I would just throw the shirt away.
Marilyn Solheim Says Hi!

Carly said...

That is completely gross! Brings whole new meaning to the "irregular" section at Ross! It didn't give you a skin reaction or anything, right?

Mechams said...

Just throw the shirt away! You gave it so many chances to lose the smell. That's what it gets! Very weird. Thank you for the amazing cookies. Reallly, they were amazing.